Collateral Damage

You took with you my motivation, my care, my energy
You left me with exhaustion, fatigue, and depression

If I could get over this faster I would, I promise
But I don't know how. I don't know how to leave this all behind me
All is easier said than done, but I can't even say it out loud
If I can't say it, when will I do it?
When will I be able to live my life for myself?
Help me gain myself back, my life, my fortitude

I want to take back my motivation, my care, my energy
I want to rid myself of exhaustion, fatigue, and depression

The dark hole that sits in my chest and drifts like smoke into my head, fogging my mind
I want you to take the bad and forget it so I can too
I want you to give the good back unconditionally
I just want to live again as I lived so well before.

Comments

  1. Dear Honey, I feel the despair in every line and I emphatize with your pain. Levaing pain behind is a mystery because maybe it will always be with us. I think you need to show how someone caused you pain and show ways in which you are away from the pain. Are you over eating? Are you not eating? Are you talking to a pshycologist etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a dark and emotional poem, and I admire the sense vulnerability you evoke. This poem feels pretty raw. It leaves an impact.

    That said, some of the language could use sprucing up. I wonder how it would read if you replaced some of the abstractions with images? But don't change the last line. That's a powerful ending line, and I wouldn't mess with that part too much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

United We Fall

PowerPoint Mentality

Growing Old -- Growing Up